Sunday, March 10, 2013

why the frum press is downright depressing these days




















I'm not sure why this hit me today while reading a certain paper, and whether or not it's just this Pesach season that elicits this reaction within me, but this was the case today. Read the papers carefully these and what do you find? it's one of several things: 1) ads asking for קמחא דפסחא etc. 2) sales for clothing and stuff you can't afford 3) worse yet, ads for Pesach in extravagant locations that only the 1% can afford, or 4) features on organizations that distribute food etc. And not much else. I'm not complaining, papers need to make money, and they do that through selling ads. But why would I want to read them? All I see is tens of thousands of Jews suffering hunger and disease. There's little I can do to help. I can't possibly help all of them, there's just too many. So I just turn the page and sigh. Maybe I get a שטיקל התעוררות תשובה seeing all those who ר"ל need a רפואה שלמה, So maybe it does have some affect on me. What about the fancy clothes and hotels, you ask? What about the לפני עור that they're עובר on for making me want that which I cannot afford? טאקע א שווערע שאלה. I cannot answer that, but maybe that's what the עיני העדה meant when they discouraged people from reading newspapers. טמא'נע בלעטער is a חידוש that you may not read? אלא מאי they were referring to the kosher ones. If so, if they're kosher, why not read them? מוז מען זאגען because of the ads.

Photo Source

15 comments:

snagville said...

I stopped reading the papers around two years ago and my life (and Shabbossim) have been a lot happier.

Richard said...

Ask the "Gedolim" why they have created a situation where ordinary Jews are poor? Could it be that even those who don´t have a kopf far Talmud don´t get the education to get a well paid job outside the Haredi world? The "Gedolim" whith their traditions that are not older than 250 years create Luftmenshen. Just look att Rabbi Akiva, Juda HaLevi, Maimonides, Rashi and so on up to the Haskala, most Rabbaim had "civil" jobs. And now you and others ask why a great deal of frum Jews can´t afford this or that.

Shmuel said...

I did notice that Pomegranate has stopped advertising the last few weeks. Any idea why?

market said...

If Pomegranate advertises, then Glatt Mart must advertise, then Mountain Fruit must advertise, then Moisha's must advertise...bottom line, my milk now costs more.

Posek said...

Hieshel
Loi Sachmoid is only osser if you nag the seller to sell you a item that u lust for, just looking aint a isser

Frugal said...

Market
on the other hand they have to come up with lower and lower prices, to beat the competition...and to build traffic

Shlomie said...

Ah that picture brings back alot of memories. Am I correct the store was on 13th Avenue under the tracks btw 54 & 55? If so, it was where I bought my papers on Erev Shabbos for many years.

Anonymous said...

who can afford the papers, they were the first thing to be cut when I had to tighten my budget. I don't miss them and my MIL saves last weeks Mishpocha for my wife.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

the dips should go before the papers...

Hyman said...

I dont have you problem HT.I dont buy frum oifgeklert pea-brain magazines nor frum balaboos/yeshivish/gvir/bnei torah noodle-head newpapers.
The only thing I read is Hershel Tzigs Circus Tent and Drudge.
Then I do the daf.


Tomim T said...

read this gevaldiger post on the frum papers
A Shabbos without the Frum papers

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Thank you, Hyman, that's very kind of you

dovy in j said...

richard,
rebbe akiva did not have a "job" during his 24 years in yeshiva.
"maimonendes" sat and learned most of his life and was supported by his brother. he only became a doctor when he came to egypt against his will.

Tibi Lotzi said...

Hirshel
Hyman added to your obligations, you have to provide in a constant fashion new material.....He is relying on you.

Tibi Lotzi said...

Dovy in Nj
"rebbe akiva did not have a "job" during his 24 years in yeshiva.
"maimonendes" sat and learned most of his life and was supported by his brother. he only became a doctor when he came to egypt against his will. "
You are correct on Reb Akiva, but you have to agree that the Rambams view is against supporting yourself from torah, eventough your shailah, howcome he was living off his brother, as he himself admits in a letter, its a good shaliah, but as they say, Fun A Kashi Shtarbt Men Nit..