Monday, January 1, 2007

Ipods sure waste your time



I went and bought an 80GB Ipod at Costco yesterday. The price was actually 10 dollars more than what B&H charges, but the return policy at Costco is what made me get there. I got home and started to install it. The machine needs the latest version of ITunes, 7.0.2 in this case, and can be downloaded from Apple.com. I downloaded the ITunes Installer and proceeded to run the application. There was the first problem. After the ITunes application downloaded I got a message that Windows Installer was no good and thus would not install the ITunes program. So I sit there with this new machine not being able to use it. I went to another computer that had very little of the content I wanted to upload and there it worked just fine. So, at least I got it to work a bit. I then went back to the original computer and finally did what any clueless computer technician worth his salt would do: I googled the error message and found the solution. I then finished installing ITunes and started to add folders from My computer into the ITunes folder.

The machine still doesn't run Vi Es Darf Tzu Zein. I get an error (-50) message that the IPod could not sync photo folders that I added. Also, the folder "Heichel Haneginah," the Tshureh from Heichel Menachem this year 19 Kislev, loaded onto the Ipod but "Cannot be found" on ITunes. So if I want to play the tunes from the computer I can't. It also takes forever to copy CD's onto ITunes, RealPlayer, I noticed, does a much quicker job at copying to My Library. Spending Hours loading this little Tcachke is not what I had in mind when I bought it, but I guess it goes with the territory. Der Ikker is that no longer must I be able to hold a Sefer on those long commutes to work, something not always possible. I can now just stick those little IBuds in my ears and listen. Time flies when you're in DVeykus Land.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

& do you "צוזינג זיך" on the train occasionally?

A Simple Jew said...

I took me a awhile to figure out iTunes as well...probably longer than it would take a 7 year-old these days...

Anonymous said...

Hitrshel, "Kol Hascholos Koshos"!! Use it in good health and enjoy!!

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Tzibaleh

Ein zach iz zicher, foren afen bahn iz itzter Gohr Andersh!

Halevay you should know Dveykus and Tshuveh MiAhavah

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

J A G

Thanks for the Vunsch

Anonymous said...

Post again in 5 years after you say to yourself one quiet night as falling asleep, "Hey, the ringing in my ears is getting more and more noticeable."

Anonymous said...

Post again in 5 years after you say to yourself one quiet night as falling asleep, "Hey, the ringing in my ears is getting more and more noticeable."

Anonymous said...

Post again in 5 years after you say to yourself one quiet night as falling asleep, "Hey, the ringing in my ears is getting more and more noticeable."

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Ex-Ipodder

so it's not the Ipod per se' that's the problem, it's just tbat you're a Zune man, right? Shameless advertising, eh?

Anonymous said...

Herschel:

What I did was to load everything on to Windows Media and Real first and then just use the Itunes search and upload feature to find my files and get them over to Itunes.

Enjoy! I have to get a large capacity unit myself one of these days.

Anonymous said...

which costco did u get it at, because i've been searching at all the costcos and all i could find are the 60g!

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Costco on 39th Street in Brooklyn. They have 80's only, no 60's.

Anonymous said...

thats good news, cause when i was home in CH a few months ago all they had was the 60.
i baught the 60 from them last year, i hope they will take it back so that i in turn will get the 80 (with some cash back too).