Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'm too nice of a guy



Here I had a golden opportunity to put my money where my mouth is, and I let it slip my fingers.

מעשה שהי' כך הי-ה (all names and events are true!)

I was at the Monsey Bus stop this Motzoei Shabbos waiting for my son and niece to arrive with the bus when I saw a strange sight. A middle-aged man wearing Yerushalmi garb steps out of a SUV and crosses the road to where the bus would stop. I thought I recognized him, but in the darkness it was tough to tell for sure. Later my worst fears were confirmed. KeYodua, almost all Yerushalmi Yidden who come to America, and there are many of them, remove their Yerushalmi Begodim while in Chutz Le'Aretz. There are a few exceptions, but they're mostly Rebbes like the Lelover U'CHedomeh. The fact that this man was wearing a "gold" striped Kaftan, but yet was on his own, waiting for someone else to arrive, narrowed down the choice to basically one man. This man could only be Moshe Ber Beck, king of the Galut Jews, who turns the other cheek and asks for more, and a man who never met a tyrant and Israel-hater he didn't love.

When the bus arrived, who was to disembark but Yisroel Dovid Weiss, the snot-faced guy from Brooklyn who uses the word "Zuy-Enist" like it was a contagoius, deadly disease, and who gets his w-2 delivered directly from Hezbollah USA. For those of you who somehow don't know he's the one that speaks to the Press and explains the "Jewish View" to anybody who'll listen. Like so many others in the NK, Weiss grew up in a ModOrth home and later "found" the NK. Some of you may remember Chaim Tzvi, the Alte Bochur with a Yerushalmi hat and Reckel, and a white Yarmulka and black socks. He was waving the Palestinian flag 20 years ago, before most Palestinians knew what it looked like. He too is a convert to the NK, but he's been behind the scenes, I guess, or replaced by Weiss as the English-speaking press liaison. Weiss sees himself as one of the "only ones" who really understand how to save the Jewish People from both the Zionists and the Arab and Moslem dictators who wish to destroy the State of Israel. I guess when you grow up without Rabbinic guidance anything goes.

So here I had my chance, I could make myself heard and finally do something for Am Yisroel. I could stand up to a group of two-bit punks who give us all a bad rap in the eyes of the irreligious. I could do one of many things: I could yell at them and cause a major scene, bringing untold shame unto my wife and kids, one of whom was standing there with me. My son would then be traumatized for life, and I'd have myself to blame for that. It's not what I want on my conscience. I could've done something a bit more discrete, like knocking off his Shtreimel while he wasn't looking, or "mistakenly" bumping into him. That way he's not really sure if it was intentional, since I know he's always looking over his shoulder, nobody gets embarrassed, and my kid still loves me. Then again, I did mention to you that I'm from the "non-violent" Hungarian faction, the ones who just went about their business peacefully, without infighting or rabble-rousing. That would disqualify me from any proactive moves, even towards scoundrels like those guys, and even when I'd have lots of support from the people around me.

"You can take the man out of Hungary, but you can't take the Hungarian out of the man."

27 comments:

Camp Runamok said...

Well, the Yaitzar Hoorah definitely wants you to get thrown in the slammer for aggravated assault...

Kol haKovod for holding him in check.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. All of Tzig, Tzemach and Failed Musa - Chochma, Bina veDaas deklipa - unite in their extreme and violent hatred and disapproval of NK in general and these two individuals in particular.

Ergo, paradoxically, that NK and Beck and Weiss must be a really, really good thing.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

so I guess in your perverted world Hitler must be a good thing too, eh?

I have no problem with the NK. Uriel Zimmer was a NK/Chabadnik. Beck and Weiss are usurpers, impostors, and traitors. They're not the NK.

Anonymous said...

Both TA and FM are quite fond of Hitler, so your point never was.

Who are you to call Beck an usurper ? Beck was very close with the old stock N"K (R' A. Blau, R' A. Katzenelenboigen et al). All of NK were cordial with Arabs, as a matter of policy, whether you or me like it or not. And all of NK (including the "old school") were condemned by the Satmarer Rebbe for marching with Arabs, who kicked out some people from Rodney St. for a period of time.

The fact that R' MB Beck is senile and YD Weiss is a bit kooky notwithstanding, they are the Pnei haDor and it suits this Dor well. But if you knew where R' MB Beck is coming from, you (or at least the kind of you that you're trying to paint) would give him more respect.

And how can Zimmer or anyone else be a "Chabadnik" and a self proclaimed "NK" ? How can you reconcile mandatory policy of not giving back an inch of land with mandatory policy immediate giving back of ALL of occupied land, by peaceful manner of course ?

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

The 1st part of your comment is uneducated gibberish, so I won't respond to that. They may have been of the opinion that the land should belong to the Arabs, but they never marched in solidarity with murderers, and never traveled to Nasser's bedside in Bigdei Shabbos to say Tehillim.

As far as Reb Uriel Zimmer is concerned:

He knew very well the Rebbe's position on giving land for peace, yet he managed to reconcile that, and saw it for what it is, not Zionism, but concern for Jewish lives.

See this post

Anonymous said...

People who read me know that layder I am a Zionist.
Yet Reb Moshe Ber and some of his cohorts make sense in at least one area. They are Charedi anarchists. they know that the whole concept of Das Tore and Gedolim and Rebbische yichus is dangerous and oysgetracht by 19th century askonim in ... Frankfurt.
Reb Beck has written interesting seforim in Yiddish about the dangers of these ideas and the narishkayten of Daas Tore and Rebbes as supreme authorities. They are in Yiddish. If people are interested I can print the names of the seforim here. Now do not get me wrong I abhor their "work" in re israel and other Jews.
My friend Rabbi MS of MTA gave them to me as a gift.
In general this is an area where the NK people are in the right.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

so then he's no different than Blu Greenberg, no?

Lucky Wolf said...

HIrshel, you live in Monsey?!

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

no, I don't. check my profile for the exact location. Also, personal questions should be sent to me via e-mail.

Anonymous said...

Why the need to make up stories about people you don't like?
Weiss is not from a Modern Ortho backround.He may have learned in Chaim Berlin,not M.O.Also his brother is a Viener type of guy.
Freiman is indeed a Y.U boy.I'm not sure btw, that these guys get along,I thought there was some split.
Just like I don't absolve Lubavitch and the Rebbe from the Meshichisten so too one cannot absolve Satmar from the NK.They may not be part and parcel but the give the strength to these 'kolipos'
Obviously I'm no fan of NK but I believe that the their point of view could still be considerd valid....till they joined in demonstartions with the biggest murders of Jews since Hitler.That's a very red line to cross.

Anonymous said...

Just throwing in my 2 cents: the real hardcore NKs are the m'lochim ( Weberman, Schorr, Gertner et. alt. ), so does that make NK a Chabad splinter?

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

so Mb Beck is of the opinion that Mai Ahani Lei
Rabbonnon?


only he knows what's best?

Yoshe:

The Rebbe was an avid reader of the HaChomah in the early years.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-r04SQ97_Q

morrons!

Anonymous said...

'Only MB Beck knows what's best'
Funny to hear that 'tayneh' from a Lubab, cuz that was one of the problems everybody had with Lubavitch:The Rebbe always (thinks)he knows best and has no concern what most other rabbonim thought.
But.....I guess Lubabs are allowed to believe whatever they want,cuz,you know they are so smart and their Rebbe was all knowing and all powerful.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

As was the Satmar Rov. He too "knew what's best" no matter what the whole world thought.

It's nice to see that the cerebrally challenged are now comparing Beck to the Rebbe.

Anonymous said...

Satmar Rov didn't invent anything. He carried on what the whole world thought in his early days, before much cash was thrown into the game.

Why is Beck's "ridiculous" ideas worse then anyone else's "ridiculous" ideas ? Another axiom ?

Anonymous said...

The Tzig is showing his 'mevinus' again.
So.....he has nothing to answer to the claim that many felt against Lubavitch namely he paskens/decides alone and never needs input from others.So the 'Tzig' answers, 'so was Satmer Ruv'.Ok, so let's discuss that:Satmar Ruv would allow anybody to come in and argue his point, in fact there was a story with a couple of chasidim that broke the mirrors in his house and were 'deported' to Lakewood.The held 'az ess passt nisht farr'en Rebben' to have mirrors, he was said to have said 'I have no problem with them disagreeing with me, but come in and tell me, don't use violence'
The Rebbe shlit'a was all knowing and all powerful.So is his (wannabee)chused Der Tzig.
(plus an additional 'mayleh' the Rebbe was actually a student in Sorbonne !!(known by many as 'der shtudent')psssst.I'm sure the Tzemach Tzedek is so proud of being 'zocheh' to have an eyneekel 'ah shtudent' in Sorbonne!)

Anonymous said...

Tzig: hosting the online Satmar Mikveh since 2005.

Anonymous said...

Uber nachalnik The satmarer rebbe carried on what the whole world thought. Friend did you ever hear that 6 million Jews were killed in the years 1839-1945 and that close to a million Jews were stateless and homeless after the War. Yelamdenu rabbeinu should the Hungarian frume survivors have gone to Chile after the war No amybe to the Dominican republic oder gor efser to New zealand ? Read and you will discover that the US and Pres. Truman did not want to admit Jews to the US after the war. So where should they ahve gone . perhaop saty in Rumanisa and Czechoslovakia .

Anonymous said...

One thing (of the many) I never understood about the Lubavitcher Rebbe was that he was supposedly anti-zionist but in reality seemed to be an extreme right wing zionist. He was against giving back any of the West Bank, wanted Israel to go into Damascus, etc. Could someone explain to me what exactly was his stance regarding Zionism? Was he really following in the Rashab's footsteps regarding Zionism?

Guravitzer said...

Are you aware of why the Rebbe took those positions?

Anonymous said...

Weiss did not grow up MO, his family would be called Heimish. What fine people, nebech on his mother.

Anonymous said...

to cross-fingered schneer :

learn to type first. Are you doubting that there would be a place for Jews to go whether or not there was a chazerfressing state in Israel ? Truman and others would've had no choice but to admit the refugees; but what does this shoulda-woulda have to do with a claim that "Satmarer Rov knowing what's best". It wasn't him, it was all the other, including Rashab, who knews what's best and what's worst, and they counted Z's amongst worst. I'm sure you disagree.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

hmmm is back!

where've you been?!

Anonymous said...

Guravitzer,

Duh, that's what I'm asking, why the Rebbe took these positions.

I know a Jew answer a question with a questions but at least don't answer my question with the same question.

Anonymous said...

ailmisher
Because it was the pure Halacha with no strings attached.

Guravitzer said...

Ailmisher, the Rebbe made his stance clear after the medinah was established in a letter to one of the first presidents of Israel, refusing to address him as Nasi, clarifying that since childhood he has looked forward to greeting Nesi Yisroel - Moshiach Tzidkeinu - and therefore cannot bring himself to call a position not quite of that caliber Nasi.

The Rebbe supported settlement due to the safety it brings. He based this safety on a Halachah, and used miltary opinion to back it up. The Rebbe supported the individual leaders in their work to protect Jewish life, but never a political party or political figure as such. The Rebbe supported the soldiers of the Israeli army who defend Jewish life.

All of the above could exist without having the State of Israel - in Latvia, for example, there was a Jewish political party, there were Jewish military groups before the state was founded, and there have always been Jewish leaders.

Interestingly enough, the Rebbe spoke quite differently about the US, calling it a Medinah Shel Chesed, and spoke admiringly of the Founding Fathers, and the fact that in G-d we trust is on the currency.