Thursday, February 8, 2007

Historical Original Photos

The super seller "Independence-Israel" has an array of historical photos up for auction today at his ebay site. Some are well-known, having been published in books, and some are not. They're all original however, and some are quite pricey. I'm not sure how these prices are decided upon, the difference in opening bids from picture to picture is quite large. As usual we can rely on A Simple Jew to be on the lookout and share his findings with all of us. May G-d bless him and the little town of Sudilkov.

I did notice a mistake on one photo, that he had listed as Rav Aryeh Levin. I see it as Rav Shlomo Yosef Zevin, am I right?


(click to enlarge)

There's also a well-known picture of the Chazon Ish arriving at a wedding in Bnei Brak. If you've read the countless biographies of the CI you'll definitely recognize it. This shot here is of great quality, and none of the books have it this close up. What we can also learn from this shot is that in those days women didn't know enough, or feel, that they had to make themselves scarce when men passed by, even a man of such stature. The CI seems quite uncomfortable. I guess we're much "better" in that regard today, huh?


(click to enlarge)

Lastly there's the picture of the meeting of Rabbonim and Rebbes regarding the anti-Shechitah decree that the Polish government implemented in 1936 in the name of "protecting animals." Among those pictured are the late Bobover Rebbe Reb BenZion hy"d and his son Reb Shlomo z"l, Rav Menachem Ziemba hy"d, the Sochatchover Rebbe (hy"d?) and others. I wonder if others were invited too but didn't attend, like the Imrei Emes, the Frierdigere Rebbe, and the Belzer Rebbe. Please help us if you know more about these meetings.


(click to enlarge)

13 comments:

A Simple Jew said...

Thank you for the brocha, Hirshel! On an interesting side note, believe it or not, one of my great grandmothers camefrom Kosovo-Poleski which was also the hometown on the Chazan Ish.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

was that was the town was called by the local Jews, I would think not. Can you figure out the Yiddish name for it?

A Simple Jew said...

In the Artscroll biography about the Chazon Ish it is referred to as "Kosova".

Anonymous said...

it looks like the Chazon Ish is wearing a gartel

Anonymous said...

I wish I would be a "super seller"!
Thanks anyways for drawing my attention to my mistake. I changed the description on ebay.

All the best,
"independence-israel"

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

It's not a gartel, but rather a belt for the beged that he wore. It was kind of a Tish Chalat/Yeshiva Chalat. The Yerushalayimer Beged with the round collar also has a "gartel", but is by no means a Chassidishe Beged. Chassidim never really wore it.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Independence

That's what I'm here for, to right the wrongs.....

Anonymous said...

I have bid on and actually bought once a letter that this seller was selling on eBay. he was selling a typed and hand signed letter that the Friediker Rebbe wrote to a Chasid in Yerushalyim when the FR was in Riga.

The letter is a beautiful piece of history that I cherish.

You should bookmark him in eBay as he often has many items of Chabad interest. I once saw that he had a huge original poster announcing the arrival of the FR in Israel when he visited.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Havemeyer

All that happens by looking at his auction items is that I get depressed. איך וואלט זייער געוואלט קויפען אבער געלט איז ניטא
וד"ל

Anonymous said...

ahahahahahahah tell me about it!! ebay is a great site to remind us of Lo' Sachmod in this weeks parsha

havemeyer

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the Chazon Ish has a gartel on in the pic, but he used to wear one.He even said something about it that I don't recall exactly, but something like, ''chasidim rightly chapped the inyan of a gartel'', so I heard

Anonymous said...

the Chazon Ish DID wear a Gartel.

also, what do ya say to the streimel on his left. eh?

snag bag

Anonymous said...

To Anon
he only said about the chasidim wearing long wardrobes.