Sunday, October 28, 2007

Agreeable books are hard to come by



I'm an avid reader. I read about all types of Jewish leaders, whether I agreed with all their policies or not. I feel a strong connection to Jewish History, and I like to be informed of what went on in the past. It gets a bit difficult when today's writers of biographies seem very intent on squeezing the protagonist into what they would want him to be, and turn him into a zealot/Takif/hateful person. It does a disservice to the Tzaddik/Rosh Yeshivah, and keeps people of a different mind from getting to know him and appreciating him. As you know I'm in the process of reading the biography of RMBW zt"l. My fears about his grandkids being Satmarer, (not that there's anything wrong with that) and the entire book being written from that slant were proven right, both from further reading and from what I heard from people that know the author and his family. Hence, much of his opinions are presented as very much in line with Satmar and the "extreme" elements of today, when in reality we know that he was a very educated man - not that he propogated TIDE - who abhorred ignorant people.

There's a chapter that deals with his personality and Shittos, and how he was a very caring person who still managed to be tough when necessary. Actually they make him a tough person who remembered to be nice when necessary. Some of the stories are really inspiring and show us how today's leaders are so far and removed from the leaders of yesteryear. RMBW didn't care as much about HIS K'vod HaTeyreh as he did for the Kovod of the Torah itself. If it meant that his Kovod was to be compromised for the sake of building Torah then so be it. Actually it was never an issue that he had to "forego," he never cared about his Kovod at all. I may quote some examples later, but need to get to the point now. They speak of his opposition to what's known today as "Kiruv Rechokim," and how he was of the opinion that those who are Mekarev Rechokim are at the same time "Merachek Kerovim." They say that at the same time that they recount a slew of stories where he tried to bring Jews back to Yiddishkeit, both those that were frum before, and those that never were. He would speak to wayward Bochurim and try and convince them to remain frum. Yet, for some reason, in 1956-1957, when the "Tshuvah" movement was still in its infancy, he supposedly was all "against it!"

The story goes as follows: There was a Yid in the Nitra Yeshivah named Reb Osher Schwebel z"l. The book doesn't say this, but I heard from former Talmidim that he was a Lubavitcher Chossid. I never saw his name mentioned in any Lubavitcher literataure, but then again maybe I just never realized it. The book says the following: Reb Osher would travel to a certain Admo"r whose custom it was to be MeKarev ReChokim, and RMBW rebuked him for traveling to him, saying that "those that are MeKarev ReChokim tend to be MeRachek Kerovim. Das is Nichs unzer Derech!." Ad Kan Devorov HaK'Doshim. Even an Ungarisher Naar/Ferd like myself can add one plus one and see that the author is referring to the Rebbe. There's nothing simpler for a budding author or biographer today; if you want your book to succeed amongst the Heimishers attack the Rebbe, Tziyonim, or both. You're guaranteed the Williamsburg/BP crowd, and even those that are attacked will buy, I guess we all must all be a bunch of masochists. What's a guy like myself supposed to think about what I just read, and about what the protagonist's grandchild wants to make out of him?

Another "proof" of his "stand" against Kiruv was the fact that he once took a drive to Valhalla, fifteen minutes away from Mt. Kisco, where the Yeshivah was and is located. He noted to the ones with him how many thousands of Jews there were living just in that short drive, and he wondered what he'd say to the B"D SHel Maaloh when they'll ask him after 120 years why he didn't try to bring them back to their roots. "I'll answer that I was working to rebuild the generation that was destroyed, and that I had a responsibility to the deceased parents of these Bochurim." Correct me if I'm wrong here, but does that sound like someone who thinks that bringing these Jews back to their roots is not on the agenda since it's not "Unzer Derech?!" Is it so important to reinvent a man who passed away fifty years ago, just so you Satmarer grandson of his will feel comfortable with every move your Zeide made?! That's why I named this thread the way I did; There's always some chapter in the book, especially when speaking about Litvishe or Hungarian Rabbonim, Roshei Yeshivah, and Rebbes, that'll make me squirm and wonder "why did I just spend 22.50 on this?"

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every one was against kiruv in those days, including the Litvaks. The Litvaks finally realized that Kiruv and mofsim are good for business and bought into it. That's what I admire about Litvaks, they rise above mere principals.

Anonymous said...

Gee, RMBW's grandson or whatever member of his family wrote the book must be wrong because he doesn't fit with your wishful thinking and satmarophobia.

But wasn't he right, when you despise those kaylechdige pailishe and smelly snags, yet love chazer fressers - isn't that richuk kerovim ?

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

smelly snags were never Kerovim. But I'm glad to see that you're Johnny on the spot, keeping me on my toes.

Anonymous said...

So an atheist is closer to the cockles of your heart than a gerrer or a litvak ? this gets better by the hour ...

since T"A gepeigert, quality of his twins is down the drain. it's a public service to keep all them worms on their toes.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

see what I mean? one day you write long Forverts Yiddishn comments, and the next day you write like a Russian, omitting "the" and "hut" just like a Russian would.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Where did I say anything about Chazzer-Fressers being closer to my heart than snags? Where did I say anything about smelly?

besides, the love YOU show for other groups warms my heart.....

Anonymous said...

Mr. linguist sherlock goat , weren't russian comments enough for your deduction without resorting to such deep analysis of gersos ?

how do you translate
מתנגד ואס פרעסס זיך אן מיט א פאר בלעטער גמרא, און עס שמעקט פון עם ד' מאות פרסא ?

(errors and typos retained)

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the biography you are referring to?

RMBW was not a Satmar chusid by any means. To this day, his yeshiva davens nusach Ashkenaz.

Plus, he travelled 3 times to Oxford, England (before the War) to check out manuscripts (a very unheimish thing to do.)

Rav Michoel Ber is buried in Beth Israel cemetery in Woodbridge, NJ. His kever is in the section belonging to the Vienner Kehillah in the front row next to Rav Yonasan Shteif. My family's minhag (Hungarian Ashkenazish) is on Tisha B'Av to go to keiver Tzadikim and recite kinos (not tehillim.). So, when I was growing up, I went every year with my father to RMBW's grave and recited RRMBW's beautiful Kinah on the Holocaust. A very moving symmetry.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

איש חמודות

They may >daven Ashkenaz, but we're speaking about shittos, not Minhogim.

The Oxford travels is another point I'd like to touch on in the near future, iy"h.

Anonymous said...

"That's what I admire about Litvaks, they rise above mere principals."
Quote of the day - this takes home the prize!

Anonymous said...

hmmm,

I'd love to take credit for it but it was actually said by James Baker זאלען בוריקעס וואקסען פון זיין בויך (about his fellow Republican).

Anonymous said...

Tzig
I didn't see the book and I don't intend to buy non of these tasteless biographies,
But please check for me if they mention anything about his meettings with the FR in NY and in Czech pre WW11 ?
His son of Monsey have put out a journal by his chanukas habais and he had some points of his meeting the FR in Czech,If I am also not mistaking, his BIL Reb Sholum Unger Zal, was by the Rebbe by the rebetzins shiva and the rebbe spoke to him about his fathers meeting with the FR

BTW I don't think the rebbe had a new shitta pertaining Kiruv that differed from his FIL

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

They do mention RMBW's connection to the FR, and that he met him both here and in Marienbad. There was also a hesped held at the Yeshivah where he told the Bochurim what a great loss the Jewish world had endured.

Anonymous said...

Right Hershel, now tell us about all the gedolei yisroel who were zoche to a hesped - or even a few nice words - in Lubavitch..

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

in Lubavitch we don't do Hespedim, even for our own Rabbeyim.

Anonymous said...

I suppose one cannot be maspid the living...

Anonymous said...

"I'm an avid reader. I read about all types of Jewish leaders, whether I agreed with all their policies or not. I feel a strong connection to Jewish History, and I like to be informed of what went on in the past."

Wanna buy a copy of Larger Than Life?

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

Wanna buy a copy of Larger Than Life?

who wants to know?

Anonymous said...

Chaverim, has anyone read Phillip Roth's wonderful short story Eli the fanatic , which is based on the American life of Rabbi W. (obviously zugeputzt). Its a wonderful short story and I recall it appears in his collection called Good Bye Columbus

Anonymous said...

Tzig writes:

The story goes as follows: There was a Yid in the Nitra Yeshivah named Reb Osher Schwebel z"l. The book doesn't say this, but I heard from former Talmidim that he was a Lubavitcher Chossid. I never saw his name mentioned in any Lubavitcher literataure, but then again maybe I just never realized it. The book says the following: Reb Osher would travel to a certain Admo"r whose custom it was to be MeKarev ReChokim, and RMBW rebuked him for traveling to him, saying that "those that are MeKarev ReChokim tend to be MeRachek Kerovim. Das is Nichs unzer Derech!." Ad Kan Devorov HaK'Doshim. Even an Ungarisher Naar/Ferd like myself can add one plus one and see that the author is referring to the Rebbe. There's nothing simpler for a budding author or biographer today; if you want your book to succeed amongst the Heimishers attack the Rebbe, Tziyonim, or both. You're guaranteed the Williamsburg/BP crowd, and even those that are attacked will buy, I guess we all must all be a bunch of masochists. What's a guy like myself supposed to think about what I just read, and about what the protagonist's grandchild wants to make out of him?
=================
"RMBW rebuked him for traveling to him, saying that "those that are MeKarev ReChokim tend to be MeRachek Kerovim. Das is Nichs unzer Derech!." "

I think anyone read Tzig's comments on this blog can clearly see how Rav MBW was 100% corrrect in that observation.

Anonymous said...

I heard there is also some eirev stories skewed the way the Williamsburg Satmar community would like to hear, I guess the Weissmandel family need their boys for the Chester Yeshiva.

Avremele said...

Shmuel Landesman said...

What is the name of the biography you are referring to?

RMBW was not a Satmar chusid by any means. To this day, his yeshiva davens nusach Ashkenaz.

Plus, he travelled 3 times to Oxford, England (before the War) to check out manuscripts (a very unheimish thing to do.)

Rav Michoel Ber is buried in Beth Israel cemetery in Woodbridge, NJ. His kever is in the section belonging to the Vienner Kehillah in the front row next to Rav Yonasan Shteif. My family's minhag (Hungarian Ashkenazish) is on Tisha B'Av to go to keiver Tzadikim and recite kinos (not tehillim.). So, when I was growing up, I went every year with my father to RMBW's grave and recited RRMBW's beautiful Kinah on the Holocaust. A very moving symmetry.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:19:00 PM
-----------------------------------
The yeshiva davens sefard. The Shtetl shul is still ashkenaz.