Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Historic Trips and other Current Events



People ask me why I don't report on the trip by Harav Steinman and the Gerrer Rebbe to France, Belgium, and the UK. That it's a historic trip made by the two Gedolei HaDor, and that I take myself out of Klal Yisroel by not reporting on it. (I love how every guy browsing the 'net decides who gets to stay in KY and who not...) These questions are somehwhat reassuring to me; since I can tell that we have new readers that never got the memo about who we areand what we write about. Then again the same question could be asked why I didn't report on the "Historic" meeting of the 2 holy brothers Teitelbaum at a Shiva call last week, isn't that historic; that two brothers wearing silk coats in the summer and carrying silver-tipped canes would sit side by side and nary a word exchanged between them, not even a handshake or a nod of the head? I'd call that historic.

I could also report on MVAs in BP and Willy, and post pictures of Sreifas Chometz in Lakewood and Avos U'Bonim in Baltimore and Cleveland, and change my name to YeshivaWorld and Voos Iz Naies, but that would defeat the purpose of this blog, wouldn't it? But if that's what my readers want then I have to decide between staying the course as I am, or changing the nature of this blog and begin to report on "Jewish News."

Speaking of the Historic visit; can anybody tell me what the purpose of the visit is, and who arranges these trips? Why Rav Steinman, all 93 years of his, has to be shlepped around the world and have his schedule of learning and davenen interrupted like that? And for what? To have him say a few words here and there, and to have the zealots get all excited that they get to demonsrate against him (R' Steinman) for endorsing the Nachal haCharedi? If he'd be a Rebbe of Chassidim iz ein zach, but to do this to a Rosh Yeshivah? Why? When has this blurring of the lines happened, and who's responsible for this? They say it's not for money this time, but just to give Chizuk. Maybe. But who decided now that it's time we give Chizuk to the European Jews? There's something beneath the surface here that we don't see, I'm just not sure what.

Other historic trips taking place now include R' Malkiel Kotler visiting Los Angeles, The Belzer Rebbe visiting Belz, Ukraine The Tolner Rebbe visiting Tolna, Ukraine, R' Aron Teitelbaum of Satmar visiting London, and many, many more. The frequent flyer miles being accrued for these trips is staggering, as are the costs of travel and lodging. But it all ends up being worth it when the checks are cashed, at least in the case of the Satmar and Lakewood trips.

You did ask me to write about these issues, right?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find that the iea of travelling is R' Steinman'. I understand that he has suggested that at his age, he is no longer capable of giving the 110% to his learning etc...and this is a real opportunity to continue doing things on behalf of Klal Yisroel

Anonymous said...

In priciple you are correct for several reasons. Most of the travelling is done by mediocore men for the purpose of raising much needed funds.
In Rabbi Steinman's case, I might not agree. I saw him here in WH seveal years ago at the KAJ shul. the event brought together YU talmidim, Teaneck baalebatim, KAJ burghers, Telzer from Riverdale, neighborhood characters like yours truely and others.
Next Steinman's mahus his emaciated body and sad look brought chizuk to amny American jews familiar with gedolim who look a tad different at least in chitzonius. It was an opportunity to see a farzaitike Yid.His message was short and to the point mainly aimed at Breuers.
But in general you are correct here.

Anonymous said...

He has a lot more chassidim than many Rebbes. I guess you are just peeved that he hasn't adopted a town in Eastern Europe over which to be Rebbe.

Anonymous said...

I think it is self important 'Askonim' who try to pump up their importance by having him travel (with there help of course). Reminds me of a famous speaker who went to a bungalow colony for some R & R. The colony residents (who had no real interest in hearing him) badgered him until he spoke as a way of flattering him (although he had no interest in speaking). Same concept hear. Shimmy Glick badgered Rav Stienman non stop about how the entire Klal Yisroel is waiting to hear him, until RALS agreed to go.

Anonymous said...

BTW,

Why the snide comments about cashing the checks. What’s wrong with fundraising. In the case of Rav MAlkeil, who DOSE NOT TRAVEL WITH AN ENTIER ENTORUGE, the costs are minimal. A ticket to LA. He stays free by supporters. Frankly, it is the most cost effective way Lakewood has of raising money. Which probably is why your upset :-)

Aussie Echo said...

I am sure that you know by now that if you don't write what some charming reader (who can't spell or write a coherent sentence - see above) wants, then you may as well close down your blog. It never ceases to amaze me how many people really believe (to paraphrase) that the internet was created for them.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

I mentioned Reb Malkiel just to add him to the list of traveling Rabbis. I realize he goes alone and for a good cause. It's the Rebbes I wonder about; when did it become common practice that every time he travels somewhere 250+ Chassidim need to break the bank, leave their family responsibilities, and travel along. This was not how it was pre-WWII.

Anonymous said...

Actually the fact that many Chassidim travel with the rebbes serves a good purpose it helps in the issue of Sholom Bayit in the Charedi community...
It serves as a safety valve.

Anonymous said...

Iam not a historian but I thing the Chofetz Chaim also did alot of traveling for chizuk. Is there someone on board to clarify?

Anonymous said...

Tzig, are you trying to let us know that missionaries frequent your blog (without using spellcheck)? Thank you.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

I Mamesh didn't understand what he was saying! Sorry about that. BTW where have you been these last 2 days? I could've used you here.

Anonymous said...

HT,

Sorry if I misjudged you and took offence where none was intended. Reason why current Rebbes travel with huge entourages is because many CHAGAS Chassidism have denigrated into clubs. With all the attendant cheerleading and marketing it requires. These Chassidim want to feel part of a big movement, bigger than them to give them self importance. Sad.

Anonymous said...

why yu didnt want me

Anonymous said...

The tzig needs his idiot sidekick hmmm to 'defend' him.