Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Vacation over, back to work.

I took some time off from blogging, (those short posts like voting and the name in lights not withstanding) although I didn't plan it in adavance, it just happened. Maybe it was all those personal attacks against me made by the well-meaning Bnei Torah here, telling me what a nasty boor I was. Maybe it was the Yom Tov of Shavuos and the true meaning of Kabbolas HaTorah that I experienced in Lubavitch, while others didn't. Or maybe it was just me rethinking my priorities, and realizing that those people are just not worth my precious time. I may have lots to share, but I need to find a more friendly and hospitable venue. In any case the necessary intellectual fortitude needed to compose hard-hitting threads and posts just wasn't there over the last week, so I took it easy. I'm sure some of you appreciated that too. Now I realize that in some ways I've become tied down ("addicted" is such a harsh word) to blogging and all its negatives and positives, and I can't walk away from it, at least not now.

While on vacation the following episode taught me why I need to continue: A Yeshivisher friend of mine was on the phone speaking to a person about "Being Mekabel Shabbos early," "accepting Shabbos at 6:30 or so." After hanging up the phone he tells me proudly that he just got off the phone with a person "I made religious." "They were living BeIssur," he says, "and now they're married and have two kids." He went on to say how some guy at Aish asked him to get involved with Kiruv and how he was very hesitant at the outset, but started anyway. He learned with him and put on Tefillin with him. He was constantly asking Rabbonim about what he was allowed and forbidden to do. How the guy asked him to learn with his wife and he refused. In short, he was beaming from ear to ear, really proud of himself. "He puts on Tefillin every day!"For a while I too was impressed, not so much with his story, which was cute, but with myself for not reacting quickly, and letting him get his two minutes of fame. I did have one point to make at the very end.

I reminded my friend about the Halochos of Tefillin, and the din of guf noki, asking him if he checked properly before putting on tefillin with him. He laughed. I reminded him about how Lubavitch was lambasted by the other frum groups for putting on Tefiilin with irreligious people, which is what he did. he thought for a split second and then said: "They put Tefillin on Goyim." I did not jump out of my seat, and I didn't tell him what a horse's behind he was, all I said was "You sound like a Goy talking about Jews." Of course he backed off and stood there with his foot in his mouth, but had I not mentioned it this frum, Yeshivisher guy would have kept that belief for years to come. Nice to see what all that tuition his father paid went to fund. Why did he make that statement? Does he really believe that Lubavitchers willingly do that? Maybe. Stories like that tell me that I can make somewhat of a difference in this PR war we fight. I may not have the circulation power of the Yated, but the word gets out, just like the negative side does in all kinds of publications, both online and in print.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a comment bederech what you said

this shavous a friend of mine went on tahalucha to a shul (this was upstate) and he asked the president/gabbai if someone can say a few words of torah between mincha and maariv. the president was worried about "moshiach" so he asked the person "tell me when you speak about the rebbe do you say the rebbe says (beloshoin hoiyveh) or do you say the rebbe said (beloshoin uvar) the person answered him as follows. "tell me when you learn gemorah how do you transalate umar rabbah .....

and he letthem speak and they were bh very happy the only problem was why so short a speech (andthe speech was for 15-20 minutes)

keep up the good word

Anonymous said...

So in response to one Jew becoming religious, two frum men decide to kvetch about whose Rebbe was right over 30 years ago?

Great. Good to know that priorities are in order.

Anonymous said...

Your PR strategy on this blog consists of attacking other groups/rabbonim/kehillos. Not spreading Chasidus and certainly not contributing to kiddush Lubavitch. How does that do anything to change the status quo?

You're no different from your yeshivish friend. Both just parroting idiotic stories about other Jews, drawing irrational conclusions, and full of sinos chinam. Its simply two sides of the same coin. Pathetic to think this type of thinking swirls within the heads of frum people.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that anyone who disagrees with you is negative?

wanderer said...

Simple D'var Sechel:
Because of the fact that Hirshel became a Lubavitcher, I feel I have a right to say that he doesn't look at everybody/thing else negatively. Because otherwise, how did he become a Lubavitcher?
So if anything you guys are the ones that look negatively at everyone/thing. But yet, I don't blame you, because that's the way you were raised.
But it's never too late.......

Anonymous said...

While your story is nice and heartwarming, the part that resounded with me was your mention of the words "tied down" instead of the word addicted.

For the sake of a PR war, which we know will never be won, are you ready to risk your family, life and livelihood? Addiction is a serious disease, brother.

Hirshel Tzig - הירשל ציג said...

well, shpy

I would guess that you DO know who I am, and therefore have the upper hand here, since I know you as a fictional character in the Moshiach Times and nothing more.

I used tied down only because I'm not addicted to this blog in the normal sense of the word. I don't post 15 times a day and don't bother responing to many of the comments posted here. maybe it's me; but I don't think that counts as addiction.

Do I risk family, life, and livelihood? I don't think so. No more than reading books really.